Property Committee 6 June 2023




ON TUESDAY 6 JUNE 2023, AT 7.15 PM

Present: Cllr D. Newsam (Chair), Cllr Mrs A. White (AW), Cllr P. McNeill (PM), Cllr C. Payne (CP)

Also in attendance: Jane Ashby (FM), Claire Ward (AC), Cllr J. Barrett (WLDC)

Councillors not present: Apologies from Cllr A. Henderson

Commencing at 7.15pm

Public Forum

The Chairman welcomed all in attendance.


Cllr Barrett (WLDC) requested the provision of more 30 mph speed limit signs and asked the council to revisit traffic calming measures previously discussed. Residents have asked for more bus shelters in Nettleham (item13) and additional benches on field paths. Cllr Barrett felt that Bill Baileys was looking untidy (note the memorial bench will be replaced shortly).



The meeting commenced at 7.30pm

1.   To resolve to receive apologies and accept reasons for absence

      Apologies were noted from Cllr A. Henderson.

      It was RESOLVED to accept the apologies for absence. 



2.   Disclosure of interests in accordance with the requirements of the Localism Act 2011 and to consider any requests for dispensations                       None

(Declaration of any disclosable interest in a matter to be discussed at the meeting and which is not included in the register of interests. Members are reminded that they are required to absent themselves during the discussion and voting on matters in which they had a disclosable pecuniary interest)


3.   The notes of the Property Committee meeting held on 4 April 2023 to be approved as the minutes 

It was RESOLVED to approve as a correct record the notes of the Parish Council meeting held on 4 April 2023 and to authorise the Chairman to sign as the official minutes. The Chairman duly signed the minutes.



4.   Financial Matters – (FM)

a) To approve/ratify recent and proposed expenditure


WLDC £156.00  Installation of New black bin plus post on Washdyke             

Rudies Roots  £801.84   Summer planting in the village plus maintenance                  



Wicks  £8.95   Replacement Garden Tap for the Allotments                           

Rudies Roots  £25.00 Plants for planters at Mulsanne                                                

WLDC £486.00 New outside litter bin for Mulsanne Pavilion                             

Lidl      £5.99   Garden waste bin                                                                      

B&Q    £41.97 New notice boards for Mulsanne Pavilion                                 

Screwfix  £57.96 Wood stain for benches/ Yellow line marking paint                   

MKM   £26.42 Cement and ballast for bench in Bill Baileys                              

Tyson Mowers  £45.53 Replacement Charger for cordless equipment                         

Screwfix £154.66  Worx Cordless power washer for cleaning play equipment &benches 


It was RESOLVED to approve/ratify recent and proposed expenditure


b) To consider the income and expenditure report as at 31/05/23 - noted


5.   Facilities Manager Report (for information only)


  • Still waiting for new litter bin at Mulsanne, more laminated signs will be required for the new recycling bins.  ACTION FM
  • The tree survey has been undertaken in Green lane.
  • The Parish council is switching to new energy provider on 26 June.
  • Some initials concerns were raised about the standard of grass cutting, but all issues have now been addressed.


6.   To receive report from Working Groups –

Mulsanne Park/Pavilion WG (DN)

  • The picnic tables are in place and are being enjoyed by visitors, a boot scraper and further bins have been installed.
  • User group meeting to take place in the near future.
  • The solar panels are functioning well, 3.304 MW has been generated since installation.



7.   To discuss Tree works in the Swathe

  • A meeting about the design specification for the swathe extension will take place on Friday 9 June.
  • The tree work required to prepare the site is unlikely to change and therefore, following direction from the working group, it is proposed to invite quotes from tree surgeons to undertake the work in the autumn.   ACTION FM/PM
  • A report will be made to full council on 20 June 2023.



8.   To discuss stand for Carnival

  • Councillors discussed plans for the NPC stand at the summer carnival on 8 July. 
  • A gazebo and display boards are available.
  • The display could include images of the play areas, Mulsanne pavilion/park and other village facilities. There are 30mph speed stickers to distribute and information will be available about becoming a Parish Councillor.
  • Councillors discussed giving out pens or stickers to promote ‘fix my street’.   ACTION PM


9.   To discuss CCTV at Mulsanne

  • Committee considered the installation of CCTV at Mulsanne Pavilion, which has been recommended by the Police on several occasions to combat episodes of vandalism. 
  • Vandals have recently damaged the away team dug out.
  • An initial conversation with a local firm about the options for installing CCTV has already taken place, but other firms will now be approached.                                              ACTION FM/DN


10.  To discuss Speed reduction initiatives for the village

  • Councillors discussed a range of speed reduction initiatives for the village and looked at designs for white ‘village gates’ which are sited on grass verges. Potential sites are Greetwell Lane, Lodge Lane and Deepdale Lane. It was agreed to investigate the purchase of the gates and applying for permission to install them.                                                         ACTION FM/DN
  • The 3-2-1 yellow lines have not been reinstated on Greetwell Lane and councillors requested that this was followed up.                                                                                          ACTION FM/DN
  • The suggestion to purchase additional 30 mph signs for the village has been deferred until the outcome of LCC’s Lodge Lane review.
  • It was agreed that speed indicators do work, and councillors discussed replacing the current sign on Washdyke Lane with a fixed solar powered version (Evolis radar speed sign), which are available from Elan City for £2250 plus VAT. It is proposed to position the camera pointing towards the A46 initially and to explore whether the position could be altered to point in the opposite direction if required. 

It was RESOLVED to purchase an Evolis radar speed sign for use on Washdyke Lane, to paid for from general reserves.                                                                                                      ACTION FM




 11.  To discuss WLDC funding opportunities

Cllr Newsam recently attended a presentation about WLDC funding opportunities for large villages, which fall into two categories: 

Up to £6k Capital – initiatives to encourage people to come to the village

Up to £3k Revenue – initiatives to support local activities

Councillors discussed a number of items and projects for which funding could be requested under this scheme, and would welcome other suggestions.

Capital – reusable Christmas tree, more planters, upgraded notice boards, updated footpath brochures, outdoor table tennis table

Revenue – gazebo and a PA system to make available to local groups

Applications for funding close on 1 November 2023.


12.  Correspondence

      To consider donation of a Memorial Bench

  • A bench sited beside the beck was requested but, as there isn’t a suitable location the applicant could be offered a location on the corner of the Crescent and the Croft where a bench that had fallen into disrepair has recently been removed. The concrete base is in good condition.
  • Facilities Manager to write to the correspondent                                                       ACTION FM


 13.  Councillors’ Reports/Future Agenda items

 Councillors are respectfully reminded this is not an opportunity for debate or decision making

  • Bus Shelters (DN)
  • Play Equipment (DN)
  • Swathe update(PM)
  • Carnival update (PM)


 14.  Date of next meeting: 

 The next meeting of the Parish Council’s Property Committee will be held on 4 July 2023.


Meeting closed at 9pm