March 2024




Present: Cllr D. Newsam (Chair), Cllr C.Johnson (CJ), Cllr A.Crook (AC), Cllr C.Payne (CP)

Also in attendance: Cllr A. White (AW), Jane Ashby (FM), Claire Ward (AC), and a member of the public

The public session commenced at 7:15pm 

A member of the public spoke about the value of management plans, highlighting the work undertaken at Riverdale where the vegetation alongside the beck has been reduced, allowing safe access for staff to clear debris accumulated over several years. 


 There being no more business for the public session the meeting commenced at 7:20pm 


1.   To resolve to receive apologies and accept reasons for absence

Apologies were received from Councillor P.McNeill; it was RESOLVED to accept the reasons for absence. 


2.   Disclosure of interests in accordance with the requirements of the Localism Act 2011 and to consider any requests for dispensations - None


3.   The notes of the Property Committee meeting held on 6 February 2024 to be approved as the minutes 

It was proposed, seconded and RESOLVED: to approve as a correct record, the notes of the Property Committee meeting held on 6 February 2024 and to authorise the Chairman to sign as the official minutes. The Chairman duly signed the minutes.


4.   Financial Matters – (FM)

a).  To approve/ratify recent and proposed expenditure



Wickes                         £2.50               Wall Plugs                                                                                     

Tyson Mowers             £340.64           Annual petrol equipment service

MKM                           £40.23             Doorstop, plaster, cement, repairs at Mulsanne pavilion               

Amazon                       £18.70             Safety waterproof gloves for BFRWG                                             

B Knights                    £34.30             Lincolnshire Fencing Rails                                                              

SAC Boiler LTD          £1136.49         Various emergency repairs at OS boiler service,                                      

SAC Boiler LTD          £698.70           Fitting of restrictors to showers 

Venture Signs             £247.00           Description sign for the cube in Bill Baileys                                     

Naturescapes             £590.49           Various wildflowers seeds plugs etc                                               



It was proposed, seconded and RESOLVED: to approve/ratify recent and proposed expenditure


b).  To consider the income and expenditure report as at 29/02/24 – noted


5.   Facilities Manager Report (for information only)

Members noted the Facilities Manager report


6.   Working Groups reports.

a).  Beck and Flood Resilience working group meeting notes.

At the last meeting maintenance of the beck and the recent flooding was discussed and a number of proposals were made:


                           i.  In order to build an accurate account of the cost of maintaining the Brookfield, Vicars Lane and Church St culverts, NPC Management modify the recording procedure. 

The FM was asked to send Cllr Newsam the spread sheet where maintenance carried out in the beck is recorded. Cllr Newsam to clarify what additional data is required.                                                                                      

FM to investigate flow meters and water height indicator boards      

                           ii.   NPC consider the installation of trash screens at one or more location       

The B&FR WG was asked to provide further information about the potential location and specification of trash screens                               


b).  Mulsanne Users meeting notes.

At the last meeting the group discussed the current football season and plans for the upcoming cricket season. The Pavilion has been well used by external hirers but more information about the nature and duration of the events involving the bar, would be welcome. The Assistant Clerk suggested the provision of lanyards or badges for volunteer bar staff.                                               ACTION AC

Dissatisfaction was expressed about the standard of cleaning, which the FM agreed to raise with the cleaners.                                                                                     ACTION FM


c).  Vicars Wood working group meeting notes.

A working party took place on 27 February when further pruning and clearance was undertaken. Little more can be done now until September because of the nesting season. Next steps include:

  • Getting a more detailed management plan in place
  • Using the turf from the quarry to enhance the grassed section of the central area.
  • Getting a tree survey done to tie in with the management plan.
  • Getting the fencing along the side of the wood replaced where appropriate.
  • Build small woodland habits to encourage biodiversity.
  • Investigate the possibility of a wildlife pond.

FM to get quotes for replacement fencing and tree survey                                       ACTION FM



7.   To consider Proposed Areas for reducing grass cutting

The Committee discussed the areas identified where mowing could be reduced. Some areas are cut on behalf of LCC. It was suggested that the Climate Change WG could liaise with LCC to see if mowing could be reduced in these areas too.                                                            ACTION CJ

It was agreed that it was important to explain to residents the reason for reducing grass cutting in certain areas by submitting an article to Nettleham Matters.                                         ACTION CJ

No decision has been made yet about the creation of a maze in Bill Baileys this year. 

It was proposed, seconded and

RESOLVED: to recommend to Parish Council 7 areas for reduced grass cutting, and to submit an article to Nettleham Matters to inform residents of the rationale for this action. 



8.   To consider Annual Play inspection report. 

The Annual Play area inspection report highlighted issues including the age of some of the play equipment, substantial moss coverage in some areas and significant areas of ‘grass carpet’ which require replacing. Cllr Crook has been meeting with suppliers to research replacing the fort in Bill Baileys and has also applied for some funding from Star energy. 

It is planned to power wash the Larch Ave play area soon. 

FM to produce a list of the maintenance tasks that the report has highlighted         ACTION FM



9.   To consider a request from Facilities Staff to erect a section Lincolnshire fencing at Riverdale from the bridge to run behind the Dog Bin. (Resolve)

The Committee discussed the proposal to erect a short length of fencing, approx. 1.5m, followed by some suitable planting once a management plan is in place, alongside the beck at Riverdale for safety purposes. 

It was proposed, seconded and

RESOLVED: to erect a short section of Lincolnshire fencing at Riverdale from the bridge to run behind the Dog Bin



10.  Correspondence

a).  Letter from a resident requesting the removal of the Street Snooker Board at the Muga.

b).  Email from a resident complaining about the Street Snooker Board at the Muga.

Councillors acknowledged the issues raised by both residents but did not feel that they had sufficient information to make a decision about appropriate action. It was proposed to extend CCTV (probably solar powered), to cover this area to investigate usage.

FM to get quotes for installation of solar powered CCTV and Clerk to respond to residents                                                                                                                                   ACTION CLERK & FM

c).  Email from a resident requesting to install a donated memorial bench in the Burial Ground.

Councillors were grateful for offer of a memorial bench but as the plot in question is surrounded by unsold burial plots there isn’t a suitable location. Installing a new bench up against the school boundary might be an option. 

FM to contact resident to explain cemetery layout and offer a site visit to discuss an alternative location.                                                                                                                ACTION FM


11.   Future Agenda items.

  • Proposal for the replacement of the fort in Bill Baileys play area (AC)


12.   Date of next meeting: 

The next meeting of the Parish Council’s Property Committee will be held on 7 May 2024 at Old School Small Hall Mill Hill Nettleham.  Please email items for the agenda and relevant paperwork for the next meeting by Tuesday 30 April 2024 for inclusion on to the Property Committee Agenda.


13.   To resolve whether to move into closed session and exclude the public and press, in accordance with the Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960, due to the commercial or sensitive nature of business to be discussed.


Meeting closed at 8.45pm